Transpo's Pole-Safe® Omni-Directional Breakaway Support System features couplings designed to be used on poles located within roadside clear zones and other locations vulnerable to impacts. The primary component of the system is a high-strength coupling, engineered to break away quickly and cleanly upon impact. The poles break in a consistent, predictable fashion, regardless of the vehicle's angle of impact, thus saving lives and reducing property damage.
Features and Advantages
- superior breakaway performance
- offers exceptional resistance to forces created by wind and dead loads
- designed for use with maximum allowable pole mass specified by AASHTO
- can be used on a large range of light pole sizes and configurations
- no special tools or equipment needed for installation
- couplings and hardware are hot-dip galvanized in accordance with ASTM A153 to provide corrosion-protection
- no torque requirement and maintenance free
Tested and Proven
In use in the United States since the 1970's
Extensive finite element analysis and simulated wind-load testing has been used to optimize the system. Independent fatigue testing has demonstrated that Pole-Safe® couplings are capable of withstanding more than two million loading cycles with no reduction in structural capacity.
Pole-Safe® vehicle crash tests were conducted in accordance with NCHRP Report 350 using a 55 foot high, 930 pound pole.
Low initial cost along with high structural capacity and zero maintenance makes the Pole-Safe® Omni-Directional Breakaway Support System the most cost-effective solution for all breakaway applications.
As per FAA Circular Advisory on Frangible Connections (AC150/ 5220-23) and ICAO Design Manual Part 6 on Frangibility, objects such as navigational or visual aids placed within designated safety area are required to be of minimal mass and height, mounted as low as possible to the ground, and to be mounted on frangible support structures. The FAA Circular Advisory has Pole-Safe for airfields listed as the only approved fuse bolt by the FAA